Fishing is permitted on the Norfolk Broads with a valid fishing licence during the fishing season. The fishing season runs from June 16th through to March 16th.
With over 200 miles of rivers and inland waterways, there is an abundance of choice when it comes to the pursuit of fresh water fishing. Someof the best line fishing is to be found in and around the Norfolk Broads. Off-the-beach sea fishing is another option and can be enjoyed all along the miles of beached coastline.
Fishermen may be interested to know that Wroxham Broad is considered to be a very good fishing water, it can be easily reached by car or by Day Boats. Fishing licences are required for every angler aged 12 years and over, these can be obtained from the Environmental Agency and are for a maximum of two rods on each occasion. Permission will be needed if fishing from private land or on private waters.
Concessionary licences are available for anglers between 12-16 years old and for people over 65 years of age, or disabled persons.
The Environment Agency (Licensing Dept) Tel: 0870 1662662 has all the information on prices, regulations and general angling information.
For a list of broads and rivers that can be fished and information on the size of fish caught in the area see the Norfolk Broads website.
There are no trout or salmon, the water is too slow running, but there are Pike, Rudd, Bream,Trench, Perch and Roach; sometimes, in the Winter when everything is quiet, you hear of Pike being caught, weighing anything from 8 to 20 pounds.
Horning Fishing Tackle has a large selection of Baits, maggots, rods, reels, hooks, floats and lines all at reasonable prices. They can be found at 106 Lower Street, Horning. Telephone 01692 631401.
A list of local pubs and restaurants is provided below with contact details and an approximate distance from the cottages given in brackets.
A La Carte
- Staithe 'N' Willow, Horning Staithe 01692 630915 (1/2 mile)
- Kings Head Inn, Coltishall 01603 737426 (6 miles)
- Norfolk Mead, Coltilshall 01603 737531 (6 Miles)
- Recruiting Sargent, Horstead 01603 737077 (7 Miles)
- Horse & Groom, Ormsby 01493 740624 (11 Miles)
Pubs/Inns serving food locally
- Ferry Inn, Horning Ferry 01692 630259 (200mtrs)
- New Inn, Lower Street Horning 01692 630 (1/2 mile)
- Swan Hotel, Lower Street Horning 01692 630 (3/4 mile)
- Kings Arms, Ludham 01692 678386 (3 miles)
- Sukho Thai, Riverside Centre Wroxham 01603 781133 (3 miles)
Indian and Chinese restaurants/Take Away
- Star of India, Wroxham 01603 784243 (3 miles)
- Golden Fish, Wroxham 01603 783361 (3 miles)
- Golden City, Lower Street Horning 01692 630091 (1/2 mile)
Fish & Chip shops
- Potter Heigham( over the bridge)
- Pedros Mexican (opposite lodges)